Dec 4, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Judge closes hearing on enhanced security measures for Raymond child rape trial
Eschenbrenner’s trial on April 8 was delayed after he attempted suicide at the state prison. Eschenbrenner — who has been held in the state’s Secured Psychiatric Unit since the suicide attempt — did not attend Wednesday’s hearing. He participated in the hearing at Rockingham County Superior Court via speakerphone.
Judge N. William Delker decided to close the hearing after public defender Brett Newkirk cited media coverage published earlier in the week about Wednesday’s hearing.
In an order issued last Friday, Delker asked to meet with representatives from the sheriff’s department, the county jail and state prison about Eschenbrenner’s purported desire to harm himself, and possibly someone else in the process.
Newkirk argued to close the hearing. Delker spoke to Newkirk and Assistant County Attorney Jerome Blanchard for several minutes at the bench at the beginning of the hearing.
He concluded the hearing had to be closed to protect Eschenbrenner’s right to a fair trial and so that there could be a fuller discussion about possible security measures that may be taken during the trial.
Jury selection is expected to begin on Monday.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 1
- Police look for Laconia sub shop robber - 0
- Claremont man indicted on two charges of arson - 0
- Police hunt pair they believe attacked couple at Rochester motel - 0
- Phone evidence likely allowed in Hampstead home invasion trial - 0
- Grand jury indicts one of three men accused in murder of Madbury teen - 0
- Piano teacher wants statement tossed before sex assault trial - 1
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 1
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: The fiscal mismanagement in Washington is a choice - 26
- 'Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus' - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483