Dec 4, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Charges in Portsmouth child porn case thrown out due to lost search warrant
All charges against Jerome Steffen, 49, were dropped by the Rockingham County Attorney's Office Wednesday morning as a result of the decision, according to County Attorney James Reams.
Steffen, who has been free on bail, faced more than 80 charges in Rockingham County Superior Court related to possession of child sexual abuse images.
Delker concluded that without the warrant, the defense would not be able to challenge how Portsmouth police collected evidence against Steffen – a violation of his due process rights.
Defense lawyer Howard Gross first raised the issue of the missing warrant on Dec. 12.
Gross argued that evidence in the case should be thrown out because a copy of the affidavit used to apply for a search warrant was not included with investigatory materials provided to him by the state.
Cashman testified he did not make any changes to the report and explained that after he submitted the report to a supervisor for approval, only a supervisor could modify the report, the order said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- In Gorham, landlord saw a change in kidnap suspect - 0
- Family of abduction survivor Elizabeth Smart offers hope in wake of Conway teen's ordeal - 1
- Feds step up protection against sexual violence - 0
- 2 more arrested over alleged drug dealer robbery in Exeter - 0
- State seeks to address handling of campus assaults - 0
- Update: Londonderry search of shooting victim's home has concluded - 0
- N.Y. man sentenced in sex assault of NH child in 1988 - 0
- Hearing ordered in 1971 murder - 0
- Police investigating bank robbery in Nashua - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Know the Law: Your trust can be named beneficiary of an IRA - 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 0
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 0
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
- Inmate reported missing from Concord transitional unit - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483