Home » Sports » Baseball » Fisher Cats/EL
Roger Brown's On Baseball: Fisher Cats' Ryan Schimpf turning on the power
The proof? Look at Schimpf’s home run totals. Entering Tuesday’s night’s game against Akron, Schimpf, a 25-year-old infielder with the New Hampshire Fisher Cats, was tied for second among Eastern League players with 13 home runs.
“I have a few homers right now, but it’s not what I’m trying to do every time up there. I’m just trying to get a good pitch and stay up the middle. Fortunately I’ve just put a couple of good swings on balls and they got out of the ballpark.”
The 12 home runs Schimpf hit in April and May established a franchise record for most home runs in the first two months of the season. He hit six in each month.
“I really don’t want to think about numbers,” he said. “I don’t set goals on a number of home runs or what I want my average to be. I just need to put together good at bats and hit line drives up the middle.”
CATCHING ON: Catcher A.J. Jimenez joined Fisher Cats on Tuesday. He was promoted from Dunedin after catcher Sean Ochinko was sent to Triple-A Buffalo. Jimenez was on New Hampshire’s opening-day roster last year, but his season ended when he had Tommy John surgery in May. MLB.com ranks Jimenez No. 11 among Blue Jays prospects.
WHAT RELIEF: Reliever Randy Boone pitched a scoreless inning in New Hampshire’s 6-2 victory over Erie on Saturday, which extended his scoreless streak to 11 innings. Since returning from the disabled list on May 23 Boone has allowed one run in 13 innings (0.69 ERA).
HIT MAN: New Hampshire outfielder Kevin Pillar entered Tuesday night’s game leading the Eastern League in hits with 84. He was tied for sixth in the league with a .315 batting average.
Pillar also began the night as the league leader in at bats (267) and games played (63).
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 'Hour of Code' taps student creativity - 1
- Fired Epping children's librarian gets public hearing - 0
- Hillsborough district names its Teacher of Year - 0
- Nashua Board of Education signals new leadership - 0
- PSU adjunct faculty members approve three-year contract - 0
- UNH, trustees seek to reverse arbitrator's decision to reinstate professor - 13
- NH students take part in computer education week - 0
- Math world stunned by UNH lecturer's find - 3
- Consultant report on UNH Manchester issues almost done - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jury deadlocked in Keene murder trial - 0
- Home Depot comes through in Derry with new decorations - 2
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Donald Trump to visit NH - 1
- Former Sen. Scott Brown confirms move from Mass to NH - 17
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 2
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child