Michael G. Hammond: Approving amnesty will not help the Republican Party
In the early 1980s, on behalf of U.S. Sen. Paula Hawkins, R-Fla., I drafted the language that created Radio Marti. As a result of Sen. Hawkins’ efforts, the Miami Cuban community remained firm supporters of the GOP for a generation.
First, the bill merely cuts some, but not most, government benefits for legalized residents.
Third, if the bill’s draftsmen thought anything effective was going to be done about border security, they wouldn’t have granted legal residency to 11.5-20 million illegals, irrespective of what happens on the border.
Eighth, how many Tsarnaevs are we guaranteeing legal residence? We don’t know. There will be a “terrorist screening,” probably against a “watch list,” but that process didn’t prevent the Boston Marathon bombing.
Shame on the short-sighted GOP chairmen.
Michael G. Hammond of Dunbarton worked for the U.S. Senate for 18 years, most of that time as general counsel to the Senate Steering Committee.
READER COMMENTS: 40
- Jonah Goldberg: Triumph of the vulgarians - 1
- Maureen Mann: Labeling genetically-modified foods would help New Hampshire consumers - 16
- David Harsanyi: Ninety-six percent of Americans are wrong about Congress - 3
- Patrick J. Buchanan: Will we go to war over Japanese islands? - 0
- Sean Kenneally: A once pure NH view is no more - 13
- Jonah Goldberg: Obamacare was sold on a few core lies - 8
- Charles Krauthammer: Obama the oblivious - 6
- Roger Simon: What Nelson Mandela overcame - 1
- George Will: Raise the minimum wage? It's iffy - 10
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- NH makes tort reform group's 'Judicial Hellholes' list - 4
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan