Michael G. Hammond: Approving amnesty will not help the Republican Party
In the early 1980s, on behalf of U.S. Sen. Paula Hawkins, R-Fla., I drafted the language that created Radio Marti. As a result of Sen. Hawkins’ efforts, the Miami Cuban community remained firm supporters of the GOP for a generation.
First, the bill merely cuts some, but not most, government benefits for legalized residents.
Third, if the bill’s draftsmen thought anything effective was going to be done about border security, they wouldn’t have granted legal residency to 11.5-20 million illegals, irrespective of what happens on the border.
Eighth, how many Tsarnaevs are we guaranteeing legal residence? We don’t know. There will be a “terrorist screening,” probably against a “watch list,” but that process didn’t prevent the Boston Marathon bombing.
Shame on the short-sighted GOP chairmen.
Michael G. Hammond of Dunbarton worked for the U.S. Senate for 18 years, most of that time as general counsel to the Senate Steering Committee.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Holiday edition reminder to our readers - 1
- 600 gather for New Horizons soup kitchen, shelter fundraiser - 0
- Conn. school shooting probe ends with gunman's motives unknown - 43
- Railway company proposing Montreal to Portland service through northern NH - 19
- Exeter theater group suspends campaign to save Ioka - 0
- Stained-glass windows get new look at Tucker Free Library in Henniker - 0
- State Supreme Court overturns termination of father’s parental rights - 8
- Communication director appointed for Manchester Diocese - 0
- 'Everything flows' from 1st Amendment - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 5
- Frisbie hospital seeks hearing on network exclusion, information denial - 0
- Ayotte praised over attempt to change broadband funding - 0
- Pats prepare for Browns' bag of 'tricks' - 0
- Believe it: Celtics are in first - 0
- Vonn finishes training run, mulls entering Friday's race - 0
- Windham teachers' contract in mediation - 0
- College Roundup: Springfield shoots SNHU past FPU - 0
Dingman: Parole me for murder of parents
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans