Michael G. Hammond: Approving amnesty will not help the Republican Party
In the early 1980s, on behalf of U.S. Sen. Paula Hawkins, R-Fla., I drafted the language that created Radio Marti. As a result of Sen. Hawkins’ efforts, the Miami Cuban community remained firm supporters of the GOP for a generation.
First, the bill merely cuts some, but not most, government benefits for legalized residents.
Third, if the bill’s draftsmen thought anything effective was going to be done about border security, they wouldn’t have granted legal residency to 11.5-20 million illegals, irrespective of what happens on the border.
Eighth, how many Tsarnaevs are we guaranteeing legal residence? We don’t know. There will be a “terrorist screening,” probably against a “watch list,” but that process didn’t prevent the Boston Marathon bombing.
Shame on the short-sighted GOP chairmen.
Michael G. Hammond of Dunbarton worked for the U.S. Senate for 18 years, most of that time as general counsel to the Senate Steering Committee.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View - Betsy McCaughey: The Obamacare horror stories are not lies - 1
- Thomas Sowell: Freedom is not free; you've got to fight for it - 0
- Michael C. Whitney: A small gas tax hike would be good for business - 5
- Jonah Goldberg: In the case of My Brother's Keeper, race does, and should, matter - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: The NH Senate's Medicaid trap - 0
- Rep. William Butynski: A casino gambling plan that works for NH - 3
- George Will: Misreading Putin, and history - 4
- Rep. Kenneth Fredette: NH should avoid Maine’s Medicaid mistake - 5
- David Harsanyi: Social conservatives would benefit by embracing libertarianism - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats, Hogan not finished yet - 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 2
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 8
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 4
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
Fremont's Miss 1964 to pass on her crown
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief
Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again
House says no to bill to reduce NH meals tax