Home » News » Public Safety
UPDATED: Tractor-trailer driver dies after Bennington crash
A tractor-trailer driver carrying wood overturned in Bennington this morning, ending up upside-down in a rain-swollen brook. (MEGHAN PIERCE/UNION LEADER CORRESPONDEENT)
"Somehow he lost control of the truck," Campbell said. Witnesses traveling behind the tractor-trailer told Campbell the vehicle had not been speeding or skidding, did not swerve or brake, just drifted off the road and flipped over.
Emergency responders were called to the scene at 11:14 a.m. Wednesday for a report of a trapped and unconscious driver.
Shortly after the driver was removed from the cab and taken by ambulance to Monadnock Community Hospital in Peterborough, Bennington Police Chief Steve Campbell said on scene that he was not sure of the driver's condition but said it was a "serious situation."
The small brook by Route 202 was flooded by overflow from the nearby river, he said, so the driver was found in three feet of water.
Campbell did not know the identity of the driver, but said he is a Canadian man who had just left New England Forest Products in Greenfield with pallets full of wood.
The cause of the single vehicle accident is unknown. There are no signs of speed or skid marks indicating the driver was trying to brake.
A state police accident reconstruction team was on its way to study the scene. Over an hour after the crash, the state road remained closed.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- City police schedule community meeting - 1
- Missing Massachusetts woman returns home - 0
- Nashua man's condition upgraded after Hudson bicycle-car collision - 0
- Missing autistic Maine teen found in Jefferson woods - 0
- Nashua bicyclist hurt in collision with car - 0
- Three injured in Route 16 accident in Ossipee - 0
- State fire marshal urges eventual ban on all fireworks - 23
- Manchester welcomes 14 new police recruits - 7
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 4
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
- Late rally lifts Red Sox past White Sox - 0
- On Baseball: Matinee win keeps Fisher Cats on a roll - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Salem drops $50 permit for Sunday sales
Anthony M. Kay
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Ayotte calls again for FCC reform
Mount Washington College to close 2 campuses