Home » News » Public Safety
UPDATED: Tractor-trailer driver dies after Bennington crash
A tractor-trailer driver carrying wood overturned in Bennington this morning, ending up upside-down in a rain-swollen brook. (MEGHAN PIERCE/UNION LEADER CORRESPONDEENT)
"Somehow he lost control of the truck," Campbell said. Witnesses traveling behind the tractor-trailer told Campbell the vehicle had not been speeding or skidding, did not swerve or brake, just drifted off the road and flipped over.
Emergency responders were called to the scene at 11:14 a.m. Wednesday for a report of a trapped and unconscious driver.
Shortly after the driver was removed from the cab and taken by ambulance to Monadnock Community Hospital in Peterborough, Bennington Police Chief Steve Campbell said on scene that he was not sure of the driver's condition but said it was a "serious situation."
The small brook by Route 202 was flooded by overflow from the nearby river, he said, so the driver was found in three feet of water.
Campbell did not know the identity of the driver, but said he is a Canadian man who had just left New England Forest Products in Greenfield with pallets full of wood.
The cause of the single vehicle accident is unknown. There are no signs of speed or skid marks indicating the driver was trying to brake.
A state police accident reconstruction team was on its way to study the scene. Over an hour after the crash, the state road remained closed.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 12-hour effort needed to get Mass. hiker off Mt. Adams - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge was local woman - 0
- Woman gets speeding ticket, then crashes into guard rail - 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Not your standard victory - 0
- Diane Foley is a lady of extraordinary elegance - 0
- Mayor's police contract veto may face override in Nashua - 0
- Havenstein to unveil 'Pledge 2.0' today, saying, 'I won't spend money we don't have' - 1
- Motivation Matters: Hey, boss! How am I doing? - 0
- Big Idea Group a startup breeding ground - 0
- North Country summit to highlight job creation - 0
- Food stamp loophole not a go in NH - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Everett Pollard: Mount Sunapee's master plan will benefit whole region - 0
7 hikers rescued from Pawtuckaway
Food stamp loophole not a go in NH
Foreclosure relief clinic Oct. 1 in Derry
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem