Home » News » Public Safety
UPDATED: Tractor-trailer driver dies after Bennington crash
A tractor-trailer driver carrying wood overturned in Bennington this morning, ending up upside-down in a rain-swollen brook. (MEGHAN PIERCE/UNION LEADER CORRESPONDEENT)
"Somehow he lost control of the truck," Campbell said. Witnesses traveling behind the tractor-trailer told Campbell the vehicle had not been speeding or skidding, did not swerve or brake, just drifted off the road and flipped over.
Emergency responders were called to the scene at 11:14 a.m. Wednesday for a report of a trapped and unconscious driver.
Shortly after the driver was removed from the cab and taken by ambulance to Monadnock Community Hospital in Peterborough, Bennington Police Chief Steve Campbell said on scene that he was not sure of the driver's condition but said it was a "serious situation."
The small brook by Route 202 was flooded by overflow from the nearby river, he said, so the driver was found in three feet of water.
Campbell did not know the identity of the driver, but said he is a Canadian man who had just left New England Forest Products in Greenfield with pallets full of wood.
The cause of the single vehicle accident is unknown. There are no signs of speed or skid marks indicating the driver was trying to brake.
A state police accident reconstruction team was on its way to study the scene. Over an hour after the crash, the state road remained closed.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Investigators release sketch of man who may have driven Abigail away - 1
- Supporters ask for patience in Abby Hernandez case while authorities sort it all out - 9
- Package found at Manchester federal building was harmless - 0
- Tractor-trailer carrying glass rolls over at I-93-Route 101 interchange in Manchester - 0
- Contact lost with Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people from Burkina Faso - 0
- New Ipswich man dies in motorcycle, truck collision - 0
- Two hurt in crash on Everett Turnpike involving tractor-trailer - 0
- Lightning likely cause of Manchester apartment building fire - 0
- Motorcyclist seriously injured in Jaffrey crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 0
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Ongoing renovations in Foxborough - 0
- Three years later, investigation continues into homicide of Celina Cass - 0
- Nashua celebration in the works for Medal of Honor recipient - 0
- Fisher Cats down Senators in road trip opener - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 0
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Defense attorney seeks home confinement for drug addict - 0
Market Basket walkout a future case study
UPDATED: Thousands of Market Basket employees rally; company board issues statement on purchase offer, reaffirms support for new CEOs
Basket case: Saga of a supermarket