Camp Allen opens 83rd season serving 600 campers with diverse special needs
Bedford's Camp Allen kicked off its 82nd season this week and welcomed more than 40 counselors from around the world, including Wales, Spain, Australia, Hungary and Poland.
"Our campers love the whole cultural piece," Constance said. "They love being able to connect with them and learn from them."
But Assistant Director Stephen Daley of Wales, who has come to the camp for the past four years, said counselors get just as much out of the experience as the campers.
"I said I was up for the challenge," Daley said. "I came here, and it changed my life."
"I'll be honest, I was petrified when I started," he said. "But I finally found something I'm proud to be a part of."
Several counselors in a recent interview credited the Camp Allen staff with creating a welcome atmosphere that's created a family of sorts over the years.
For Juan Martin of Spain, meeting new people and making new friends are secondary to his primary reason for being at Camp Allen.
Carla Dullard, who is visiting the U.S. for the first time from Australia, described the camp as nothing short of magical, with a staff that has already begun to form bonds.
For many of the counselors, who end up learning as much as they teach, it promises to be a rewarding summer at Camp Allen.
"I want to hang up my shirt at the end of the season and know that I've made someone happy," said Stevenson. "And I hope to get to do it again next year."
READER COMMENTS: 1
- 'Christmas Carol' a rite of passage for community theater world - 0
- Christmas chuckles served up at Queen City campus dining hall - 0
- Rex Fowler's Nutopians spotlight tunes by Beatles great John Lennon in Plymouth concert Friday - 0
- Palace Theatre celebrates holiday tradition with 'Christmas Carol' - 0
- Nutcracker comes to life in Boire Dance Academy's holiday production in Nashua - 0
- Holiday mayhem and magic ensues in a Nashua stage adventure - 0
- Musical siblings bring a Leahy Family Christmas to The Music Hall - 0
- Ghostly visits materialize in Lincoln play - 0
- Art Concord event Saturday opens doors to area galleries and artistic creations - 0
Rex Fowler's Nutopians spotlight tunes by Beatles great John Lennon in Plymouth concert Friday
NH stats: 60,000 in state hunt for deer
2013 Holiday Happenings
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
Obama talks of remaining agenda
Dingman granted conditional parole
Conn. man charged in hit and run