UPDATE: UNH bomb threat termed a hoax
DURHAM - University of New Hampshire Police are working with the FBI after a bomb threat was called into the university just before noon Tuesday.
The campus was not evacuated as a result of the threat.
UNH Police Chief Paul Dean said a non-specific bomb threat was made to the general campus by phone.
"We spoke to the caller and based on what the caller had to say we don’t feel the information was credible; however the matter is still under investigation," Dean said.
He said UNH police searched several areas on campus and by 1:30 p.m., the timeframe in which the caller said an explosion would happen had come and gone.
It is the latest university to receive such a threat in recent days.
Earlier on Tuesday, Princeton University in New Jersey evacuated its campus after threats were made to specific buildings.
Dean said there was no reason to believe the two threats are connected except that they were made on the same day.
He said people should remain vigilant and report any suspicious activity, not just because a threat was made, but every day.
"It is reminder that we need everyone to stay vigilant," Dean said. "But there is no specific threat at the moment and we feel comfortable that the call was nothing more than a hoax."
Although most students have left campus for summer break, Dean said there are still plenty of people on campus.
"I don’t know why this specific person chose to call here but they did and we’re looking into it," he said.