Home » Opinion » Editorials
Unrelated amendments: Enough with the false outrage
House Democrats really want Obamacare implemented. The Republican-led Senate does not. Norelli knew the House bill to ease Obamacare's implmentation would not get through the Senate, so she had it appended to a bill that makes changes to the state's renewable energy program.
On Thursday, Senate Republicans decided that the House's rejection of two labor-related bills was unacceptable. One of the bills would give the Legislative Fiscal Committee the power to approve state labor contracts. The other would allow employers to pay employees with cards rather than paper checks. Both bills had passed the Senate but been killed in the House.
In the past, both parties have decried the practice of attaching unrelated amendments to bills. Legislators in both parties still attack the other when the other party does it. Yet they both do it regularly. It is a practice that should not happen, but let's not kid ourselves that it is some wicked deed rooted in the opposition's ideology.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Manchester education standards proposal derided at public hearing - 6
- Proposed Common Core alternative will get public review tonight - 6
- New headmaster eager to take the reins at Pinkerton - 0
- SNHU, NH Institute of Art merger talk creates anxiety for some - 4
- UNH- Manchester looks to move into Pandora building - 2
- Wilton school project begins - 0
- Nashua explores taking over Brentwood School - 0
- Franklin Pierce lays off four full-time employees - 0
- New Highland-Goffe's Falls principal starts job today - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two vehicle crash in Milton ends with one driver sustaining fatal injuries - 0
- Portland Sea Dogs get past NH Fisher Cats in righty’s first AA start of season - 0
- Keene Swamp Bats edge Sanford in NECBL action - 0
- Manchester's Hanover St. block party kicks off block party season - 0
- Little, MacDonald 1-2 in wild K&N 100 in Loudon - 0
- Kyle Busch focused leading up to Camping World RV Sales 301 - 0
- Somersworth man charged in three incidents - 0
- Hosts hoping for extended Little League district final - 0
- Assisted living facility proposed for Londonderry - 0
Coco is back in jail, but maybe not for long
Outrageous waste: You overpaid by how much?