Home » Opinion » Editorials
Unrelated amendments: Enough with the false outrage
House Democrats really want Obamacare implemented. The Republican-led Senate does not. Norelli knew the House bill to ease Obamacare's implmentation would not get through the Senate, so she had it appended to a bill that makes changes to the state's renewable energy program.
On Thursday, Senate Republicans decided that the House's rejection of two labor-related bills was unacceptable. One of the bills would give the Legislative Fiscal Committee the power to approve state labor contracts. The other would allow employers to pay employees with cards rather than paper checks. Both bills had passed the Senate but been killed in the House.
In the past, both parties have decried the practice of attaching unrelated amendments to bills. Legislators in both parties still attack the other when the other party does it. Yet they both do it regularly. It is a practice that should not happen, but let's not kid ourselves that it is some wicked deed rooted in the opposition's ideology.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Chara's 'Gordie' lifts Bruins over Rangers - 0
- Bruin’s effort a turkey in 6-1 loss to Detroit - 0
- Krug lifts Bruins over Penguins in OT - 0
- B's top Hurricanes in overtime - 0
- Blues tip Bruins in shootout - 0
- Soderberg, Smith lead Bruins to victory - 0
- Strong third period helps Senators end Bruins hex - 0
- Former Monarchs lift Kings over Islanders - 0
- Lucic goal lifts Bruins to overtime victory - 0
READER COMMENTS: 6
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 0
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 1
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 0
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 0
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 0
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released