Perkins paces Pittsfield
Perkins came up just short with 14, which turned out to be plenty as the junior lefty pitched a two-hitter in a 5-1 win over the Crusaders for Pittsfield's first state title since 2001.
Perkins struck out the side in the first, third and fifth innings and didn't allow a hit until Mike Miller's single with one out in the sixth.
The Panthers added three runs in the sixth after loading the bases with nobody out. Wesley Ward led off with a single, Chris Farr singled and then Perkins laid down a perfect bunt that slowly rolled on the grass toward third base. Branden Smith drove in a run with a sacrifice fly and the Panthers added two more on singles by Jed Eastman and Colby Clark.
"He battled all day. We play a little bit better defense behind him today, maybe something works out a little bit better for us. We just had a couple plays that we normally make that we didn't make," Littleton coach A.J. Bray said. "Normally we score first. They scored first, put us on heels and with that pitcher throwing, it was going to be an uphill battle even to score two runs."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hillsborough district names its Teacher of Year - 0
- Nashua Board of Education signals new leadership - 0
- PSU adjunct faculty members approve three-year contract - 0
- UNH, trustees seek to reverse arbitrator's decision to reinstate professor - 13
- NH students take part in computer education week - 0
- Math world stunned by UNH lecturer's find - 3
- Consultant report on UNH Manchester issues almost done - 4
- 'Embrance the challenge ... behold the view,' MCPHS grads told - 0
- Students add their special touch to Christmas - 0
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- NH makes tort reform group's 'Judicial Hellholes' list - 4
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840