Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox put a hurt on first-place Texas
It was a blowout.
The Red Sox, looking to avenge a three-game sweep at the hands of the Rangers in Texas last month, hammered out 13 extra-bases hits, 19 hits overall, and cruised to a 17-5 victory.
Dempster, who finished last season with Texas, pitched seven innings of three-run ball for the rocking-chair win.
Drew, slumping coming in, had four hits, two RBIs and three runs. Carp had three hits and a walk in the first five innings. Bradley and Carp also drove in three runs apiece. Daniel Nava had three hits, scored four runs and drove in another, and Saltalamacchia had three hits.
Mitch Moreland (No. 12) hit a meaningless two-run homer in the eighth for Texas, which got three hits from A.J. Pierzynski.
Jose Iglesias led with a double and rode home ahead of Bradley’s crushed homer, over the Red Sox bullpen (someone in the ’pen traded for the ball). Nava singled and Carp walked, and the runners stayed put as Pedroia flied out. Ortiz, who failed to get a triple last season after having one each of the previous five seasons, then ripped his triple to right-center to score a pair.
With two outs in the fourth, Pierzynski doubled and scored ahead of Baker’s fifth homer of the season.
Drew greeted Joe Ortiz with a home run, his second in three games, to start the bottom of the fourth. Carp connected leading off the fifth, Boston’s 10th extra-base hit of the game.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Suicide bomber, gunmen kill 52 in Yemen - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 10
- Charitable organizations raise money, and lift spirits with Christmas tree sales - 0
- Holiday edition reminder to our readers - 1
- 600 gather for New Horizons soup kitchen, shelter fundraiser - 0
- Conn. school shooting probe ends with gunman's motives unknown - 43
- Railway company proposing Montreal to Portland service through northern NH - 19
- Exeter theater group suspends campaign to save Ioka - 0
- Stained-glass windows get new look at Tucker Free Library in Henniker - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Win tickets to see Disney on Ice!
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Driver was trying to kill himself