NH church volunteers to help in Oklahoma tornado cleanup
Twenty-four people died when the tornado struck Moore on May 20; two people died in Shawnee from a tornado the day earlier.
The 30 Manchester Christian Church volunteers will work on debris cleanup and stay in church basements, Mazur said. Part of the work involves cataloging lost items and trying to connect families with those items, some that were found miles away from where they belong, she said.
“Our church as a whole is very compassionate,” said the pastor, the Rev. Bo Chancey. “They love to care for people, be actively involved, put their faith and love in action.”
“When they hear we’re from New Hampshire, they’re shocked,” she said. The church is also collecting Home Depot and Lowe’s gift cards to give to people whose property was damaged by the tornado.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Alternative energy vehicles rule Mount Washington Auto road - 0
- Natural gas pipeline still holds promise for Groveton - 1
- Bird causes Concord-area power outage Monday - 0
- Swanzey solar array should be completed by end of 2014 - 1
- New Londonderry transmission line project will add 60 more utility poles - 0
- 'Northern Trespass' film to be screened in Nashua on Thursday night - 0
- Mount Washington Auto Road to host largest gathering of alternative-energy based vehicles in North America - 0
- Ayotte says Northern Pass lines should be buried beneath roads - 12
- Tariffs tabled in state energy talks - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Chester deputy fire chief jailed for allegedly violating restraining order - 0
- Manchester police release photos of men they believe robbed mother, daughters at local Holiday Inn - 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 1
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 1
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Ayotte pushes bill to combat 'spice'