Pembroke man's family stunned by his shooting by Manchester police
Dennis Lane of 12 Melissa Lane said he has known Varagianis for years and last spoke to him Sunday. Lane said he has been in a long-term relationship with Varagianis' mother, Sandra Sharp, who is suffering from lung and brain cancers.
Lane said Sharp, who is living in a long-term care facility, is now trying to arrange to see her son, who was at Elliot Hospital Tuesday night recovering from two gunshot wounds.
"It's really tragic," Lane said. "It's a pretty sad thing that's going on right now."
He said Sharp was given four months to live when she was diagnosed with cancer. That was 11 years ago; she's been fighting it ever since, he said.
Lane said it seemed that Varagianis, who had done prison time for drug-related offenses, had turned his life around by finding work detailing cars and starting a relationship with a new girlfriend. Lane said he'd offered to take Varagianas and his girlfriend out as a way to thank him for "doing so well."
Lane said family members, including Sharp and Varagianis' sister, Michelle, have no idea what may have prompted Varagianis' alleged actions Monday night.
"I have no idea," Lane said. "We're just like anyone else. We're trying to figure this out and what's going on."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 'Cadillac' health tax costs draw big worry - 13
- Wastewater lagoon blamed for Exit 4 odor - 0
- Author and poet Maya Angelou dies at 86 - 0
- After controversy, retired NH superior court judge fights for kudos - 4
- Road to be closed for fallen Brentwood officer's procession - 0
- Brentwood Officer Arkell's death adds fresh pain to somber law enforcement memorial ceremony - 1
- Conference participants take on climate change planning - 1
- NH agencies see growing needs for seniors - 1
- Nashua to combat substance abuse with knowledge at forum - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Tiler Eaton: The Northern Pass project would help, not hurt, NH's economy - 0
- Allen Lessels on Motor Sports: Craven loves qualifying format - 0
- City summer: Check out Manchester - 0
- Revenge? Shea needs none - 0
- Bonner rock'n the hardware - 0
- On Baseball: G'days for Berti boosted his game - 0
- Special Section: Readers' Choice 2014 - 0
- Officials probe fire at Jaffrey trash sorting building - 0
- Swamp Bats fall to Pilgrims - 0
Community groups profit from race week
Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing?