Home » News » Roads and Travel
Grant would provide funds for Sarah Mildred Long Bridge work
The grant would bring them one step closer to securing the funding necessary to rebuild the Sarah Mildred Long Bridge connecting Portsmouth and Kittery, Maine, via the Route 1 bypass.
The plan so far is to start construction on the new Sarah Mildred Long Bridge in September 2014 and to have it completed by November 2017.
The entire bridge project is now expected to cost about $160 million with the costs shared by both Maine and New Hampshire.
“One of the things we are very focused on is not just the initial costs but the ongoing maintenance costs,” Taylor said. “It has to be an affordable, economical bridge.”
Public input has also played a role in the preliminary design of the bridge.
“It improves the shipping situation,” Rohleder said.
Some changes will be made to the approach roads near Oak Creek Terrace in Kittery and near the Portsmouth side, but overall they will stay largely the same.
Another day-long design workshop is scheduled for July 11, with the final design going to the Maine Department of Transportation for approval in September.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fergus Cullen: The Christmas card many of us wish we could send - 0
- Ben Dick: Teachers had good reason to reject Manchester contract offer - 16
- Jonah Goldberg: Obamacare: Silence of the insurers - 3
- George Will: Executive discretion to the extreme - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Being better than New Jersey isn't good enough - 1
- Kathy Sullivan: GOP outrage machine might have finally gone too far - 47
- Jonah Goldberg: Triumph of the vulgarians - 2
- Maureen Mann: Labeling genetically-modified foods would help New Hampshire consumers - 16
- David Harsanyi: Ninety-six percent of Americans are wrong about Congress - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Senate holding rare Saturday vote on Fed pick Janet Yellen - 0
- Destruction of Berlin theater is ruled arson - 0
- Brady, Suggs set to renew bitter rivalry - 0
- West, Towson look to run past Eagles - 0
- Crowley leads Dover hockey past Kingswood - 0
- Beltran, Yankees make it official - 0
- Sabres pull away from Bruins - 0
- Bishop Guertin boys top Salem in OT - 0
- Wildcats will need to contend with Fargodome noise - 0
Beltran, Yankees make it official
Scott Brown brings out protesters in NH
Al Baldasaro may run for U.S. Senate
Gun-rights rally against Scott Brown gets rejection from city of Nashua; protesters say event will go on
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Ice storm threatens the region
Plymouth hosts hearing on bill for tougher scrutiny of power projects such as Northern Pass