Ayotte honors veterans, their families and cadets at annual gathering
"Every generation has stepped forward and served this country," said Ayotte. "We only enjoy freedom because of the sacrifices of the men and women of this great country."
"It's also important that we recognize the families of those who served," said Ayotte, whose husband served in Iraq. "You have served our nation. When a loved one serves, you serve as well."
"Let's say a prayer for them to come home safely and as soon as possible," said Ayotte.
Navy veteran Herb Billingsley was warmly greeted by Pearl Harbor survivor Jim Billotta, and Army veteran Tony Bruno said the day is a good chance to catch up with friends no matter what branch of the military they served in.
After speaking in Derry, Ayotte visited members of the Sea Cadets at the U.S. Naval Reserve Center in Londonderry.
The Sea Cadets are an organization for young people between 10 and 18 based on core Naval values of discipline, leadership, and respect, according to Lt. Commander John Murphy.
"It's an honor to see the future leaders of the country," she said.
Murphy noted that the Sea Cadets are under no requirement to join the military when they complete their service, but said all the cadets benefit no matter what they do.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Reports: Yankees get Red Sox Jacoby Ellsbury - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Goalies everywhere - 0
- 'The Granite Wall' stays solid as UNH marches into postseason - 0
- Lebanon City Hall renovation could move forward at hearing - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan