Colorful commode is a hot commodity in Londonderry fundraiser
Londonderry resident Karen Roberts arranged a pink and purple toilet on Deb Johnson's front lawn Monday morning. (APRIL GUILMET PHOTO)
But don't call the code enforcement officer just yet. It's all for a worthy cause.
Last week, members of One Body of Hope, a Relay for Life team based out of St. Jude Parish in Londonderry, began their mission of "wiping out cancer" one lawn at a time.
"We went and picked up the toilet on (a recent) Friday," Roberts said. "The next day, we were outside painting it. Painting porcelain isn't too easy," she said with a laugh.
By the time Sunday Mass rolled around, parishioners caught a glimpse of the colorful commode gracing the church garden as they made their way into the sanctuary.
For a $15 fee, the toilet can be placed on the Londonderry lawn of one's choice.
"This chain of events should keep the toilet moving around town, thus raising awareness of the need to flush out funds towards a cure for cancer," Woodward said.
Johnson, who wasn't told who had paid to have a potty placed on her front lawn, found humor in her lawn's latest deposit.
"Someone really loves you," Woodward said.
Would Johnson be "flushing" it forward? But of course, she said.
"I do have a friend who made me promise not to send her any flamingos," Johnson said. "But she didn't say anything about toilets."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Newbies welcome on NH slopes - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: The fiscal mismanagement in Washington is a choice - 37
- Thomas Sowell: The legal system exists to prevent mob 'justice' - 3
- Another View -- Cass Sunstein: A salute to the graceful silence of George W. Bush - 7
- David Harsanyi : Run, Liz, run! - 22
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 43
- Another View -- Harold Meyerson: The right underestimates Elizabeth Warren's appeal - 39
- Jonah Goldberg: There was a time when we stood up to threats against free speech - 2
- Why I voted against the 'CRomnibus' spending bill - 20
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2014 top 10 list of wage and hour - 0
- Thumbs-up for Ebert's winner - 0
- It's Central, Merrimack - 0
- Goal: Stay healthy - 0
- Year in review: A look back at NH's top stories - 0
- Indecent proposition from New London chief was 'chilling' says victim - 1
- Details of Reams inquiry released - 0
- New Hampshire police part of funeral for slain NYC officer - 0
- Workers' rally to bring back Artie T. captured public's heart - 0
Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive
Thoughts as we move from one year to another
Details of Reams inquiry released