NEWPORT – A tarantula died in a mobile home fire Monday, but firefighters were able to save a second along with a snake and several dogs.
The family of four who were living in the rented mobile home is currently being housed by the Red Cross, Fire Chief Wayne Conroy said Tuesday.
Firefighters responded to a structure fire at 324 Bradford Road Monday at 9:56 a.m., Conroy said.
When firefighters arrived, the 14- by 70-foot mobile home was showing heavy fire from the back.
"We struck a second alarm that brought in Sunapee to scene with an engine tanker," Conroy said.
Claremont firefighters were diverted to cover the Newport fire station. He said the fire was quickly under control by 10:21 a.m.
When firefighters arrived, all family members were safely outside the home, but there was concern about the family pets, several dogs, two tarantulas and a snake.
"People are our main concern, but we do everything we can to get their pets out, too," he said.
Conroy didn't know the type of snake, but said, "It was a pretty good-size snake."
One of the tarantulas perished in the fire, he said.
Firefighters left the scene at 11:30 a.m. but returned 15 minutes later.
"It had a metal roof on it and it had some hot spots that we didn't catch," Conroy said. "But we weren't there long."
He said the fire was caused by an electrical socket malfunction that occurred in a wall of the back bedroom, then spread through the home.
The mobile home was a total loss, Conroy said.
The family had no rental insurance, but owner John Avery III of Newport did have insurance on the mobile home itself, Conroy said.
The Red Cross responded to the scene and is putting the family up for a few nights and is providing them with clothing, Conroy said.