Home » News » Public Safety
Smokey oven fire forces Nashua evacuation
Two people required assistance from firefighters in making their way out of the Pheasant Run apartment complex, located off Silver Drive about a half mile from the commercial center on Daniel Webster Highway.
Deputy Chief Karl Gerhard said the occupants of one unit in the multi-family apartment building discovered the fire and left their residence, leaving the door open in the process.
While the fire was put out quickly, the smoke escaped the apartment and caused a heavy smoke condition on the second and third floors.
One of the two people helped out of the smoke-filled structure was taken to Southern New Hampshire Hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.
Fire officials said that the best procedure in the event of an oven fire is to shut the oven off, close the oven door and evacuate the building.
When evacuating a multi-family building, the door to the unit with the fire should be closed to prevent the fire from spreading, they said.
In the fire Sunday morning, fire officials said some residents ignored the early morning fire alarms and warned that failing to heed fire alerts can result in fatal injury.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials probe fire at Jaffrey trash sorting building - 0
- Missing Conway girl's mother not giving up hope - 0
- Check those pool filters for another invasive species - 0
- Lowell apartment house fire claims 7 lives, including three children - 0
- Posting of recent standoff has Free Keene bloggers taking heat - 2
- State Police Marine Patrol IDs Duncan Lake drowning victim - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- City police schedule community meeting - 1
- Missing Massachusetts woman returns home - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Somersworth man charged in three incidents - 0
- Outrageous waste: You overpaid by how much? - 1
- Another View -- Tiler Eaton: The Northern Pass project would help, not hurt, NH's economy - 1
- Allen Lessels on Motor Sports: Craven loves qualifying format - 0
- City summer: Check out Manchester - 0
- Revenge? Shea needs none - 0
- Bonner rock'n the hardware - 0
- On Baseball: G'days for Berti boosted his game - 0
- Special Section: Readers' Choice 2014 - 0
Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing?
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Another View -- Tiler Eaton: The Northern Pass project would help, not hurt, NH's economy