Home » News » Public Safety
Smokey oven fire forces Nashua evacuation
Two people required assistance from firefighters in making their way out of the Pheasant Run apartment complex, located off Silver Drive about a half mile from the commercial center on Daniel Webster Highway.
Deputy Chief Karl Gerhard said the occupants of one unit in the multi-family apartment building discovered the fire and left their residence, leaving the door open in the process.
While the fire was put out quickly, the smoke escaped the apartment and caused a heavy smoke condition on the second and third floors.
One of the two people helped out of the smoke-filled structure was taken to Southern New Hampshire Hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.
Fire officials said that the best procedure in the event of an oven fire is to shut the oven off, close the oven door and evacuate the building.
When evacuating a multi-family building, the door to the unit with the fire should be closed to prevent the fire from spreading, they said.
In the fire Sunday morning, fire officials said some residents ignored the early morning fire alarms and warned that failing to heed fire alerts can result in fatal injury.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Investigators release sketch of man who may have driven Abigail away - 1
- Supporters ask for patience in Abby Hernandez case while authorities sort it all out - 9
- Package found at Manchester federal building was harmless - 0
- Tractor-trailer carrying glass rolls over at I-93-Route 101 interchange in Manchester - 0
- Contact lost with Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people from Burkina Faso - 0
- New Ipswich man dies in motorcycle, truck collision - 0
- Two hurt in crash on Everett Turnpike involving tractor-trailer - 0
- Lightning likely cause of Manchester apartment building fire - 0
- Motorcyclist seriously injured in Jaffrey crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 0
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Ongoing renovations in Foxborough - 0
- Three years later, investigation continues into homicide of Celina Cass - 0
- Nashua celebration in the works for Medal of Honor recipient - 0
- Fisher Cats down Senators in road trip opener - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 0
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Defense attorney seeks home confinement for drug addict - 0
Market Basket walkout a future case study
UPDATED: Thousands of Market Basket employees rally; company board issues statement on purchase offer, reaffirms support for new CEOs
Basket case: Saga of a supermarket
Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health