Home » News » Public Safety
Smokey oven fire forces Nashua evacuation
Two people required assistance from firefighters in making their way out of the Pheasant Run apartment complex, located off Silver Drive about a half mile from the commercial center on Daniel Webster Highway.
Deputy Chief Karl Gerhard said the occupants of one unit in the multi-family apartment building discovered the fire and left their residence, leaving the door open in the process.
While the fire was put out quickly, the smoke escaped the apartment and caused a heavy smoke condition on the second and third floors.
One of the two people helped out of the smoke-filled structure was taken to Southern New Hampshire Hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.
Fire officials said that the best procedure in the event of an oven fire is to shut the oven off, close the oven door and evacuate the building.
When evacuating a multi-family building, the door to the unit with the fire should be closed to prevent the fire from spreading, they said.
In the fire Sunday morning, fire officials said some residents ignored the early morning fire alarms and warned that failing to heed fire alerts can result in fatal injury.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Three-alarm fire damages Nashua church; parishioners out safe - 0
- Power outage knocks machine offline at Gorham Paper and Tissue - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson - 1
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 2
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
- Wakefield woman dies in crash; Rye woman crashes into utility pole - 0
- Wakefield woman killed in Milton crash - 0
- Portsmouth police locate, arrest driver after accident - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Gubernatorial candidate Hemingway proposes NH tax system fix - 1
- Hanover co-op to meet on fired workers - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Elm Street's resurgence includes a good workout - 0
- Your turn, NH -- Kate Pemberton: What a First Lady taught me about being a woman - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notes: My favorite things from one week this summer - 0
- Motivation Matters: Get rid of deficiency, not employee - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: Inventors need to have lots of intuition, instincts, creativity - 0
- Bedford man creates insurance rating system - 0
- No compromise: We win, you lose - 3
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
DIY addition draws city's, neighbors' ire
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
The U.S. is a beacon still
No compromise: We win, you lose
NH Legal Perspectives: U.S. Supreme Court says homecare workers not required to pay fee to unions
Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson