Home » News » Public Safety
Smokey oven fire forces Nashua evacuation
Two people required assistance from firefighters in making their way out of the Pheasant Run apartment complex, located off Silver Drive about a half mile from the commercial center on Daniel Webster Highway.
Deputy Chief Karl Gerhard said the occupants of one unit in the multi-family apartment building discovered the fire and left their residence, leaving the door open in the process.
While the fire was put out quickly, the smoke escaped the apartment and caused a heavy smoke condition on the second and third floors.
One of the two people helped out of the smoke-filled structure was taken to Southern New Hampshire Hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.
Fire officials said that the best procedure in the event of an oven fire is to shut the oven off, close the oven door and evacuate the building.
When evacuating a multi-family building, the door to the unit with the fire should be closed to prevent the fire from spreading, they said.
In the fire Sunday morning, fire officials said some residents ignored the early morning fire alarms and warned that failing to heed fire alerts can result in fatal injury.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Halogen lamp causes Somersworth house fire - 0
- Dover enacts emergency parking ban for Friday - 0
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Quick thinking closes the door on Somersworth fire - 0
- Milford fatal crash remains under investigation - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- Family trying to recover from fire 2 weeks before Christmas - 0
- Derry police add a new officer to the department - 0
- 1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sabres pull away from Bruins - 0
- Bishop Guertin boys top Salem in OT - 0
- Wildcats will need to contend with Fargodome noise - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Kicking game could play crucial role for UNH - 0
- State settles $24.5M lawsuit to force help for mentally ill - 0
- Groton Wind turbines slated to start turning again shortly - 0
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Hooksett man convicted in fatal boating accident - 0
- Man awarded $250K in sexual assault at medical center - 0
Ice storm threatens the region
Gun-rights rally against Scott Brown gets rejection from city of Nashua; protesters say event will go on
Al Baldasaro may run for U.S. Senate
Nashua man held in home invasion
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Plymouth hosts hearing on bill for tougher scrutiny of power projects such as Northern Pass
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072