Home » News » Public Safety
Smokey oven fire forces Nashua evacuation
Two people required assistance from firefighters in making their way out of the Pheasant Run apartment complex, located off Silver Drive about a half mile from the commercial center on Daniel Webster Highway.
Deputy Chief Karl Gerhard said the occupants of one unit in the multi-family apartment building discovered the fire and left their residence, leaving the door open in the process.
While the fire was put out quickly, the smoke escaped the apartment and caused a heavy smoke condition on the second and third floors.
One of the two people helped out of the smoke-filled structure was taken to Southern New Hampshire Hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.
Fire officials said that the best procedure in the event of an oven fire is to shut the oven off, close the oven door and evacuate the building.
When evacuating a multi-family building, the door to the unit with the fire should be closed to prevent the fire from spreading, they said.
In the fire Sunday morning, fire officials said some residents ignored the early morning fire alarms and warned that failing to heed fire alerts can result in fatal injury.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester fire heavily damages one apartment - 0
- Derry teen credited with saving home from kitchen fire - 1
- Nashua YMCA lifeguard: ‘My training just kicked in and instincts took over’ - 0
- Milford police officers want to meet you for coffee - 2
- Nashua parents: Clean up the sidewalks for students' safety - 0
- Manchester police car in collision at Union and Hayward streets - 0
- Northwood fire prompts firefighters to urge residents to clean chimneys - 0
- Rochester pedestrian, 18, struck, suffers minor injuries - 0
- Haverhill man receives call every homeowner dreads - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- AG says Rockingham County attorney probe 'substantially complete' - 0
- Nashua mayor says finance committee lacked authority to table buying dump trucks - 0
- Raymond man charged with hitting friend with his vehicle - 0
- NH Supreme Court reject's Addison appeal to remove AG's prosecuting team - 2
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats, Hogan not finished yet - 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
Fremont's Miss 1964 to pass on her crown
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief