Home » News » Public Safety
Smokey oven fire forces Nashua evacuation
Two people required assistance from firefighters in making their way out of the Pheasant Run apartment complex, located off Silver Drive about a half mile from the commercial center on Daniel Webster Highway.
Deputy Chief Karl Gerhard said the occupants of one unit in the multi-family apartment building discovered the fire and left their residence, leaving the door open in the process.
While the fire was put out quickly, the smoke escaped the apartment and caused a heavy smoke condition on the second and third floors.
One of the two people helped out of the smoke-filled structure was taken to Southern New Hampshire Hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.
Fire officials said that the best procedure in the event of an oven fire is to shut the oven off, close the oven door and evacuate the building.
When evacuating a multi-family building, the door to the unit with the fire should be closed to prevent the fire from spreading, they said.
In the fire Sunday morning, fire officials said some residents ignored the early morning fire alarms and warned that failing to heed fire alerts can result in fatal injury.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry police add a new officer to the department - 0
- 1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford - 0
- 'Good Morning America' viewers see how much people care about missing Abigail Hernandez - 0
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- Claremont homeless man found dead - 0
- Woodshed restaurant fire investigation continues - 0
- Lincoln officer, Woodstock firefighters credited with saving homeowner's life - 0
- Rollover backs up traffic on Everett Turnpike - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072