Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions
The three logo designs proposed for the University of New Hampshire by a New York design firm. (COURTESY)
A statement released Friday from UNH President Mark Huddleston noted that the decision to redesign the current logo, which features the clock tower at Thompson Hall, has sparked "considerable creative input" from students, faculty, staff, alumni and others in the UNH community.
The university recently hired the New York design firm Chermayeff & Geismar & Haviv to redesign the logo. Three blue-and-white designs are featured on the UNH web site, and members of the UNH community have been weighing in on their choice — or rejection — of those three.
Because of the impassioned reactions, UNH officials have decided to keep the comments period open through July 1.
• "Being an alum and current graduate student, I find it hard to pick a new logo because I love the current one. However, if I had to choose, I would pick concept #1. Thanks for allowing input!"
• "My vote would be for the second logo, with the U holding the seal together and the N and H on the inside. It seems, to me, the most professional and collegiate. The third seems a bit too cartoonish?"
• "I quite liked the third logo from the presentation; I think it is aesthetically pleasing and symbolically representative of, not only the school, but the state as well. I found the first two logos to be visually unappealing and lacking in creativity."
"UNH is a world-class institution competing on a national and international stage. We must present ourselves with real clarity and consistency both to our friends and to those who know little of our mission or aspirations," he said. "Like any serious enterprise in a competitive marketplace, we must invest in and manage our brand identity."
Information about the selection process and images of the proposed designs can be found at: bit.ly/unhgraphics.
Comments can be emailed to: email@example.com.
READER COMMENTS: 5
- New headmaster eager to take the reins at Pinkerton - 0
- SNHU, NH Institute of Art merger talk creates anxiety for some - 4
- UNH- Manchester looks to move into Pandora building - 2
- Wilton school project begins - 0
- Nashua explores taking over Brentwood School - 0
- Franklin Pierce lays off four full-time employees - 0
- New Highland-Goffe's Falls principal starts job today - 0
- Board to vote on new graphic design program - 0
- Londonderry names assistant superintendent - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mazzaglia to be sentenced Aug. 14 for murder of UNH student - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 6
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 10
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax