Students hold ceremony to honor flags
On Friday morning, the seventh-grade class at St. Patrick School paused to honor their nation’s most familiar symbol, along with those who fought for it.
It was Theron Zajchowski, a member of Boy Scout Troop 610, who immediately raised his hand, suggesting they set a goal of collecting 50 worn, tattered flags over the course of the school year.
“Always remember our flags are important and should be viewed with the same respect we give to our soldiers,” Zajchowski said Friday morning, as VFW Post 10722 Sr. Vice Commander Ray Fabian stood at attention, saluting each of the folded flags.
Friday’s ceremony offered a chance for the local children to show their gratitude to those who served.
“Caps off to those who won’t return home, to heavens where they’ll soon enough roam,” one line of Aho’s poem read.
“You should always think of the flag as a living thing. It stands for courage and glory,” seventh-grader Kayli Keenan said.
“Our hearts go out to all of you,” he told them. “We just love you.”
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Reports: Yankees get Red Sox Jacoby Ellsbury - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 2
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 1
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
- Do you like the new University of New Hampshire logo?
- Total Votes: 383