Students hold ceremony to honor flags
Seventh-grader Joseph Sanchez presents a retired American flag to Ray Fabian, Sr. Vice Commander of Pelham VFW Post 10722 during a Memorial Day ceremony at Pelham’s St. Patrick School on Friday. (APRIL GUILMET/Union Leader Correspondent)
On Friday morning, the seventh-grade class at St. Patrick School paused to honor their nation’s most familiar symbol, along with those who fought for it.
It was Theron Zajchowski, a member of Boy Scout Troop 610, who immediately raised his hand, suggesting they set a goal of collecting 50 worn, tattered flags over the course of the school year.
“Always remember our flags are important and should be viewed with the same respect we give to our soldiers,” Zajchowski said Friday morning, as VFW Post 10722 Sr. Vice Commander Ray Fabian stood at attention, saluting each of the folded flags.
Friday’s ceremony offered a chance for the local children to show their gratitude to those who served.
“Caps off to those who won’t return home, to heavens where they’ll soon enough roam,” one line of Aho’s poem read.
“You should always think of the flag as a living thing. It stands for courage and glory,” seventh-grader Kayli Keenan said.
“Our hearts go out to all of you,” he told them. “We just love you.”
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 12
- Praising freedom: While curtailing it - 16
- Fergus Cullen: No politics buffer zone - some want issue unsettled - 7
- The perfect winner: Mrs. Craig gives when she receives - 0
- A sacred rite denied: Partial justice in Marriott murder - 0
- Casino tax breaks: Bad news for Gov. Hassan - 4
- A medal well earned: Ryan M. Pitts is a hero - 3
- Treat them better: Bad medicine for veterans, military - 14
- Editorial: USNH’s freeze a good start - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Claremont man accused of sexual assault and incest - 0
- Allen Lessels on Motor Sports: Youngsters eye NHMS - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 1
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 6
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Mount Washington College to close 2 campuses
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release
Ayotte calls again for FCC reform