Home » Sports » College Sports
St. Anselm hockey eyes Division I
The school is currently exploring all of its options regarding hockey, including the Atlantic Hockey Association (AHA), said St. Anselm director of athletics Kelly Higgins in a statement released through the school's media relations department.
The issue has risen to the surface in part because the AHA, a league that the St. Anselm men would fit into nicely, is looking for another team.
One of the prime reasons St. Anselm is interested in moving up is that it is in a kind of no man's land with hockey.
The UConn move will leave Atlantic Hockey with 11 teams and the league's directors want to get back to 12, a number more manageable for scheduling and tournaments.
"They're in favor of both institutions," DeGregorio said. "It's a matter of who steps up first."
"It will be very difficult not to be first," he said.
He thinks it likely a new team would not join the league until the 2015-16 season.
"Based on the enthusiasm of the people who have called about it, I would say St. Anselm is ahead of where URI is at this point," he said.
The school would need to add athletic scholarships for hockey and upgrade travel and officiating budgets. Atlantic Hockey allows a maximum of 12 scholarships, but those numbers are going to 13 and then 14 the next two years and most teams approach those limits.
The CHA currently includes Mercyhurst, RIT, Robert Morris, Syracuse, Penn State and Lindenwood and DeGregorio is striving to make it stronger.
The men were 16-8-3 last season and have had winning seasons the last four years and nine of the last 10.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 'Hour of Code' taps student creativity - 0
- Fired Epping children's librarian gets public hearing - 0
- Hillsborough district names its Teacher of Year - 0
- Nashua Board of Education signals new leadership - 0
- PSU adjunct faculty members approve three-year contract - 0
- UNH, trustees seek to reverse arbitrator's decision to reinstate professor - 13
- NH students take part in computer education week - 0
- Math world stunned by UNH lecturer's find - 3
- Consultant report on UNH Manchester issues almost done - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Snow could reschedule Super Bowl - 2
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 3
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child