Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Francona's Tribe too much for Sox
The man who led Boston to its first title in 86 years in 2004 and then added another in 2007 watched his first-place Cleveland Indians pound out 16 hits in a 12-3 win to open a four-game series.
The loss was the third in the last four games for the second-place Red Sox, who are just 8-20 in their last 20 games and 28-20 overall.
Zach McAllister, unbeaten in his last five starts, worked the first five innings to raise his record to 4-3.
Scott Barnes, recalled earlier in the day, pitched the last three innings for the save, his first in the major leagues.
The game ended with a steady rain falling, and more is predicted throughout the weekend.
It took Dempster, who threw 127 pitches in 4 2/3 innings in his last start, 85 to get through three innings. That was the end of his night.
Cleveland scored three in the third on the two-run double by Reynolds and an RBI grounder by Mike Aviles, the infielder the Red Sox sent to Toronto to sign manager John Farrell.
Hours before the game, Francona met the media in the visiting dugout, saying, “These were some very special years (in Boston), but sometimes they were tough.”
Francona waved to the crowd, as did Cleveland third base coach Brad Mills, his bench coach in Boston.
READER COMMENTS: 8
- Fetal homicide: A compromise at last? - 4
- Freedom & discovery: A mathematician gets noticed - 0
- Preventing Newtown: Background checks won’t - 29
- Taunting taxpayers: Manchester teachers union won’t budge - 35
- Insurance choices: Shaheen, Shea-Porter, Kuster mislead - 19
- Looking for Abigail: Public can help find her - 3
- Riding lessons: DRED improves horse rules - 5
- Pray for safety: The state did not provide it - 15
- Big league gambling: AG makes right call on casinos - 8
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Stretch of I-293 North and South closed after propane tank crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan