Home » News » Public Safety
Fish and Game says Gilford bear shooting was proper
"Issues with bears and other predators attacking chickens are becoming much more common in recent years, as people seem to be buying more chickens and coops," said Fish and Game's Andrew Timmins.
Karatsaros said she grabbed her gun and went to her neighbor's home, where she found that a young bear had broken into a chicken coop. She shot the bear, wounding it, and it left. Town police had to find the bear and euthanize it later that night.
Under state law, "a person may pursue, wound or kill, on land owned or occupied by such person, any unprotected bird or wild animal which the person finds in the act of doing actual and substantial damage to poultry, crops, domestic animals, or the person's property."
"I understand the reference (to the law)," said Mark Ellingwood, Fish and Game's wildlife division chief.
"We're not convinced that what happened in Gilford is 100 percent legal, but we're not trying to take anyone to task, we just want people to look at simple solutions," said Ellen Keith, a member of Black Brook Conservation Foundation, which has members all over the state, including many in Tamworth.
People also need to be aware that in the spring some of the bears are cubs with a mother nearby, which could cause more problems, he said. In any case, if a landowner sees a bear causing problems, the landowner should call the local police, he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 1
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
- Bay State man hurt in Ripley Falls fall - 0
- Veteran Arizona officer named Rindge police chief - 3
- NH gun license form must change, critics say - 10
- Rimmon Heights honors Manchester Community Policing Division - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Motor Speedway to again host two Sprint Cup Series weekends in 2015 - 0
- St. Anselm football players practice ini August heat - 0
- White, Glenn lift Fisher Cats over Harrisburg, 6-4 - 0
- KSC field hockey first in coaches poll - 0
- New England Patriots guard Mankins traded to Tampa for TE Wright - 0
- NH Fisher Cat Lee still striving for making it to the major leagues - 0
- Former city restaurateur gets jail sentence for sex assault - 0
- Former high school art teacher gets suspended sentence in drug case - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 0
Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner
Market Basket: 'So close, yet so far'
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate