Home » News » Public Safety
Fish and Game says Gilford bear shooting was proper
"Issues with bears and other predators attacking chickens are becoming much more common in recent years, as people seem to be buying more chickens and coops," said Fish and Game's Andrew Timmins.
Karatsaros said she grabbed her gun and went to her neighbor's home, where she found that a young bear had broken into a chicken coop. She shot the bear, wounding it, and it left. Town police had to find the bear and euthanize it later that night.
Under state law, "a person may pursue, wound or kill, on land owned or occupied by such person, any unprotected bird or wild animal which the person finds in the act of doing actual and substantial damage to poultry, crops, domestic animals, or the person's property."
"I understand the reference (to the law)," said Mark Ellingwood, Fish and Game's wildlife division chief.
"We're not convinced that what happened in Gilford is 100 percent legal, but we're not trying to take anyone to task, we just want people to look at simple solutions," said Ellen Keith, a member of Black Brook Conservation Foundation, which has members all over the state, including many in Tamworth.
People also need to be aware that in the spring some of the bears are cubs with a mother nearby, which could cause more problems, he said. In any case, if a landowner sees a bear causing problems, the landowner should call the local police, he said.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- 'Unprepared' Canadian hikers rescued from Mt. Washington - 2
- Vemont pair killed, Sunapee man hurt in crash on I-89 in Lebanon - 0
- Hampton woman, 75, hit by truck in Newington in serious condition - 0
- Police: Handling issues of mentally ill just part of the job - 0
- Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use - 5
- Officials: Missing teen sent letter weeks after last sighting - 0
- UPDATE: 2 dead in I-89 crash in Lebanon, highway northbound restricted to one lane as of 8:20 p.m. - 0
- Manchester needs more police department argues in staffing report - 13
- Reams threatens to sue county commissioners - 11
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Celtics hammer Knicks - 0
- Weary Monarchs lose in shootout - 0
- Manchester man charged in series of store robberies - 0
- UNH unveils new 'shield' logo - 23
- Winter storm pushes up East Coast after weekend blast - 0
- Police looking for information about blood on Pelham road - 0
- UNH drops Saturday night game to BC, 2-1 - 0
- Patriots stun Cleveland in another wild comeback - 1
- Napoli returns to Boston with two-year deal - 0
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use
UPDATE: 2 dead in I-89 crash in Lebanon, highway northbound restricted to one lane as of 8:20 p.m.
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
UNH lecturers seek to unionize
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072