Home » News » Public Safety
Fish and Game says Gilford bear shooting was proper
"Issues with bears and other predators attacking chickens are becoming much more common in recent years, as people seem to be buying more chickens and coops," said Fish and Game's Andrew Timmins.
Karatsaros said she grabbed her gun and went to her neighbor's home, where she found that a young bear had broken into a chicken coop. She shot the bear, wounding it, and it left. Town police had to find the bear and euthanize it later that night.
Under state law, "a person may pursue, wound or kill, on land owned or occupied by such person, any unprotected bird or wild animal which the person finds in the act of doing actual and substantial damage to poultry, crops, domestic animals, or the person's property."
"I understand the reference (to the law)," said Mark Ellingwood, Fish and Game's wildlife division chief.
"We're not convinced that what happened in Gilford is 100 percent legal, but we're not trying to take anyone to task, we just want people to look at simple solutions," said Ellen Keith, a member of Black Brook Conservation Foundation, which has members all over the state, including many in Tamworth.
People also need to be aware that in the spring some of the bears are cubs with a mother nearby, which could cause more problems, he said. In any case, if a landowner sees a bear causing problems, the landowner should call the local police, he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- Family trying to recover from fire 2 weeks before Christmas - 0
- Derry police add a new officer to the department - 0
- 1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford - 0
- 'Good Morning America' viewers see how much people care about missing Abigail Hernandez - 2
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- Claremont homeless man found dead - 0
- Woodshed restaurant fire investigation continues - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 1
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
- Firefighters respond to fire at Somersworth home - 0
- Snow could reschedule Super Bowl - 2
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072