Home » News » Public Safety
Man pulled from Barnstead pickup truck wreck with serious head injury
The accident occurred at 9:34 p.m., said Fire Chief Mark Tetreault.
When first responders arrived, they found the man's southbound truck had left the road for a few feet, traveling at a high rate of speed, before hitting a tree.
There were no passengers, and authorities said it was unclear Thursday night if the driver was wearing his seat belt, the chief said.
Tetreault said the cause of the truck leaving the highway is unknown and being investigated.
"All the rain and poor visibility didn't help, I would guess," he said.
Upon examining the badly damaged truck, they found the driver still alive, and began setting up extrication equipment.
"He was trapped in a rather small space, and we found that he had a head injury," said Tetreault.
It took 20 minutes to extricate the victim from the crumbled truck cab.
While the extrication was going on, it was determined that the man's head injuries were serious enough to have him flown by DHART helicopter to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, but Friday night's bad weather precluded DHART flights, Tetreault said.
The victim, whom Tetreault said was an adult local resident, was taken to Concord Hospital, where his condition was unknown Friday night.
Police were at the scene after the fire department left, investigating the crash.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Dover mortorcyclist taken to Maine hospital after crash - 0
- Missing since October, Abby Hernandez is home - 16
- Keene police continue pedestrian collision investigation - 0
- State bomb squad explodes suspicious package in Salem parking lot - 0
- Bodies of downed plane's passengers leave Ukraine crash site for return to Netherlands - 0
- 30-year-old man found dead in Laconia apartment - 0
- AG: Missing Conway teen Abigail Hernandez reunited with family - 10
- Maine man hurt in ATV accident in northern NH - 0
- Police say North Country motor vehicle deaths down - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Rochester eyes another Legion baseball crown - 0
- Only a freshman, Kennedy excelled on the track - 0
- Looking Back With Aurore Eaton: The Manchester Opera House makes its stunning debut - 0
- Another View -- John Dumais: Mandatory GMO labeling is all cost, no benefit - 4
- What’s the rush? Executive Council follows Pelosi plan - 1
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats prove point - 0
- Evan Turner, Celtics see upside in new deal - 0
- Thunder take two from Fisher Cats - 0
- Ortiz, Drew (4 RBIs each) lead Red Sox hit parade against Blue Jays - 0
Market Basket workers urged to 'shut it down'; deposed CEO urges fired workers be given jobs back
Shaheen's record: On insurance, it is dismal
Anti-SUV flop: Americans love utility
Police say boy, 6, found in getaway car
U.S. appeals courts issue conflicting rulings on Obamacare exchange subsidies such as NH's