Home » News » Public Safety
Man pulled from Barnstead pickup truck wreck with serious head injury
The accident occurred at 9:34 p.m., said Fire Chief Mark Tetreault.
When first responders arrived, they found the man's southbound truck had left the road for a few feet, traveling at a high rate of speed, before hitting a tree.
There were no passengers, and authorities said it was unclear Thursday night if the driver was wearing his seat belt, the chief said.
Tetreault said the cause of the truck leaving the highway is unknown and being investigated.
"All the rain and poor visibility didn't help, I would guess," he said.
Upon examining the badly damaged truck, they found the driver still alive, and began setting up extrication equipment.
"He was trapped in a rather small space, and we found that he had a head injury," said Tetreault.
It took 20 minutes to extricate the victim from the crumbled truck cab.
While the extrication was going on, it was determined that the man's head injuries were serious enough to have him flown by DHART helicopter to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, but Friday night's bad weather precluded DHART flights, Tetreault said.
The victim, whom Tetreault said was an adult local resident, was taken to Concord Hospital, where his condition was unknown Friday night.
Police were at the scene after the fire department left, investigating the crash.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 40
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads