Home » News » Public Safety
Man pulled from Barnstead pickup truck wreck with serious head injury
The accident occurred at 9:34 p.m., said Fire Chief Mark Tetreault.
When first responders arrived, they found the man's southbound truck had left the road for a few feet, traveling at a high rate of speed, before hitting a tree.
There were no passengers, and authorities said it was unclear Thursday night if the driver was wearing his seat belt, the chief said.
Tetreault said the cause of the truck leaving the highway is unknown and being investigated.
"All the rain and poor visibility didn't help, I would guess," he said.
Upon examining the badly damaged truck, they found the driver still alive, and began setting up extrication equipment.
"He was trapped in a rather small space, and we found that he had a head injury," said Tetreault.
It took 20 minutes to extricate the victim from the crumbled truck cab.
While the extrication was going on, it was determined that the man's head injuries were serious enough to have him flown by DHART helicopter to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, but Friday night's bad weather precluded DHART flights, Tetreault said.
The victim, whom Tetreault said was an adult local resident, was taken to Concord Hospital, where his condition was unknown Friday night.
Police were at the scene after the fire department left, investigating the crash.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 2
- 2 motorcycle riders hurt in Laconia collision - 0
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 2
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
- Salem family ldisplaced by house fire - 0
- Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health - 17
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 0
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 0
- Motivation Matters: 'Giving 110 percent' says more than you think - 0
- Know the Law: Do I need a prenup? - 0
- Life's just a great big game for Dan Yarrington - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH
Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee