Home » News » Public Safety
Man pulled from Barnstead pickup truck wreck with serious head injury
The accident occurred at 9:34 p.m., said Fire Chief Mark Tetreault.
When first responders arrived, they found the man's southbound truck had left the road for a few feet, traveling at a high rate of speed, before hitting a tree.
There were no passengers, and authorities said it was unclear Thursday night if the driver was wearing his seat belt, the chief said.
Tetreault said the cause of the truck leaving the highway is unknown and being investigated.
"All the rain and poor visibility didn't help, I would guess," he said.
Upon examining the badly damaged truck, they found the driver still alive, and began setting up extrication equipment.
"He was trapped in a rather small space, and we found that he had a head injury," said Tetreault.
It took 20 minutes to extricate the victim from the crumbled truck cab.
While the extrication was going on, it was determined that the man's head injuries were serious enough to have him flown by DHART helicopter to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, but Friday night's bad weather precluded DHART flights, Tetreault said.
The victim, whom Tetreault said was an adult local resident, was taken to Concord Hospital, where his condition was unknown Friday night.
Police were at the scene after the fire department left, investigating the crash.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Milford fatal crash remains under investigation - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- Family trying to recover from fire 2 weeks before Christmas - 0
- Derry police add a new officer to the department - 0
- 1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford - 0
- 'Good Morning America' viewers see how much people care about missing Abigail Hernandez - 2
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- Claremont homeless man found dead - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jury deadlocked in Keene murder trial - 0
- Home Depot comes through in Derry with new decorations - 2
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Donald Trump to visit NH - 1
- Former Sen. Scott Brown confirms move from Mass to NH - 22
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 2
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072