Epping boy wondering 'Where's the beef' after his new steer runs away
Ryan Hoelzel, 9, of Epping, is hoping the steer he bought returns to his family's Epping farm. (JASON SCHREIBER PHOTO)
The steer that Ryan planned to name Panda never made it into the family's fenced-in field and has been on the loose ever since.
Dozens of family members, friends and neighbors have done their best to hunt for the wayward steer. It's been spotted a few times, but no one's been able to catch it, even though it has a halter and rope hanging from its neck.
Police have also been called in to help. The most recent sighting came Tuesday night when a Rockingham County sheriff's deputy saw the steer on the Rockingham Recreation Trail, not too far from Ryan's home in the area of Fremont and Jenness roads. The deputy wasn't able to catch it either.
"It's so frustrating. We were so close," said Ryan's mother, Mary.
He used every dollar he earned and collected for his birthday, Christmas and other occasions.
Ryan got a deal on the calf from a farm in Dover.
Ryan is facing a June 1 deadline to enter his steer in 4-H for this year's beef cattle shows.
"He's out the cow and out the money," his mother said.
If he's not able to enter fairs this year, Ryan said he'll probably just help out his friends when they show their animals and try again next year.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Kayla Bullwinkel: Schools must go after cyber bullies while respecting the First Amendment - 3
- George Will: Obama uses a bludgeon in Wisconsin - 2
- Jonah Goldberg: Feminists freak out over a guy's clothes - 1
- Another View -- Ted Cruz: Don't turn the Internet into a public utility - 8
- Charles Arlinghaus: Divided government keeps bad things from happening - 2
- Thomas Sowell: How race obsession can hurt minority students - 2
- Another View -- Tom Szold: After a 2014 GOP loss, some reflections and second guesses - 14
- Pat Buchanan: The oil weapon in America's hands - 0
- David Harsanyi: A terrible climate deal that doesn't matter - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police obtain warrants for suspect wanted in Dover, Manchester bank robberies - 0
- Abby Dion, 9, records a 10 in gymnastics meet - 0
- St. A skaters fall to Norwich - 0
- Monarchs lose in OT; win streak stops at 6 - 0
- Police searching for person stealing from cars in Manchester - 1
- College Football: Maine seniors want the coveted musket - 0
- College Hockey: Ice-making problem postpones UNH-PC - 1
- Pinkerton backfield a combination of power and speed - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: State Legion rejects Post 79’s request for senior team - 2
Jury acquits Mont Vernon driver, who was checking text, in death of former Amherst fire chief
Offend someone? To jail with you!
Obama to illegals: Come out of shadows
Plaistow town planner arrested
Driver acquitted in Amherst ex-chief’s death
A kinder, gentler House Speaker?
Pipeline's NH route moves to top choice
College Football: Wildcats are CAA champs