Roger Brown's Diamond Notes: Londonderry’s double threat
“He’s had some arm issues in his past, but as you can see he’s fully healthy now,” Londonderry coach Brent Demas said. “He throws pretty hard, he’s got a good curveball and a very nice cutter.
Del Signore, a left-hander, is 5-0 with one save and 39 strikeouts in 28 innings this season. He’s part of a staff that includes senior Ryan Moloney, who will pitch for the University of Massachusetts, and junior Tom Corey, who blanked Exeter on three hits over six innings on Monday.
“I’ve been feeling really good — really confident,” Del Signore said. “All three of us help each other out. Everyone’s been pitching really well this year.”
Del Signore, who was used sparingly on the mound last season, plays first base when he’s not pitching. He brings a .421 batting average into today’s game. Among Londonderry players, only shortstop Jake Welch has a higher average.
Demas said Del Signore’s future is likely on the mound but added that he could make it at the next level at another position, as well.
UNLIKE the Londonderry baseball staff, the ConVal Regional of Peterborough softball team has only one ace. But when your regular starting pitcher averages 14 strikeouts a game, one ace is enough.
The victory raised the Cougars’ record to 13-1, good for first place in Division II.
Dover is currently alone in first place and will carry a 15-1 record into today’s game against Alvirne. Concord is 14-2 and has sole possession of second place, but must beat Spaulding today and then defeat Dover to finish first.
SPAULDING of Rochester lost three of its first four softball games but has won 11 of 12 since. The Red Raiders extended their winning streak to eight games with Monday’s 6-1 triumph over Nashua South. ... Goffstown clinched the No. 1 seed for the Division II baseball tournament by beating Plymouth 10-1 Monday. The Grizzlies will complete their regular-season schedule with a home game against Merrimack Valley today. ... Hanover pitcher Joe Cravero tossed his second no-hitter of the season when Hanover beat John Stark of Weare, 5-0, last Wednesday. Cravero has allowed one hit in four of his six starts this season. In addition to his two no-hitters, he’s pitched a one-hitter and was pulled from another no-hitter because of a high pitch count. ... The Dover baseball team’s eight-game winning streak came to an end with Monday’s 3-1 loss to Pinkerton Academy of Derry. The Astros have won three in a row. ... The Gilford softball team is 13-1 in Divison III and can avenge its only loss today when it plays Franklin at home. Franklin prevailed, 3-2, in the first meeting. ... The Hillsboro-Deering softball team opened the season with back-to-back victories but has lost 12 in a row since then.
“Diamond Notes” appears is published Wednesdays in the New Hampshire Union Leader. Email staff reporter Roger Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Suicide bomber, gunmen kill 52 in Yemen - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 10
- Charitable organizations raise money, and lift spirits with Christmas tree sales - 0
- Holiday edition reminder to our readers - 1
- 600 gather for New Horizons soup kitchen, shelter fundraiser - 0
- Conn. school shooting probe ends with gunman's motives unknown - 43
- Railway company proposing Montreal to Portland service through northern NH - 19
- Exeter theater group suspends campaign to save Ioka - 0
- Stained-glass windows get new look at Tucker Free Library in Henniker - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Win tickets to see Disney on Ice!
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false