Home » Sports » College Sports
Reviving the Piscataqua River Wherry
"Boat building, as a vehicle for teaching and education, develops hand skills and enhances cognitive ability," he said, "but there's an aesthetic component."
Burke chose the Piscataqua River Wherry design boat in part because it is indigenous to New Hampshire's Seacoast and its design was adapted for the local river conditions.
Burke hosted a tour of the boat workshop Monday at The Community School, with some of the students, including Marianna Palladino, 13, brother Noah, 15, and Fenton Varney, III, 13, all of Tuftonboro. One unusual aspect of this particular class is that the wood — a strong Pine tree from the Eaton Town Forest — was custom chosen for this project.
Burke said New Hampshire, due to weather and other conditions, has some of the strongest pine in the country. The class looked at hundreds of trees before they chose a pine that was milled and prepared for the boat project. The boat measures 16 feet 6 inches in length. Using "classic" boat building techniques, the boat will take between 250 to 300 hours to build. The class began in January.
"I never thought I could do something like this," said Marianna.
"It's nice to learn a new skill… I had no experience with tools but after a while I started to enjoy it. It seems like second nature," she said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Tasting Notes with Jim Beauregard: Turkey Day wines and a resource for brewers - 0
- Hopkinton vigil sheds a light on bullying - 0
- Goffstown taking aim at invasive species - 0
- Patriots and Eastern Bank team up for kids - 0
- First graders enjoy early Thanksgiving feast - 0
- Dover to hold 29th annual Christmas tree lighting ceremony - 0
- New Horizons breakfast raises $172,678 for homeless, needy - 0
- Manchester Christmas Parade steps off Dec. 6 - 0
- Giving thanks for a bountiful meal - 0
Flying in for some homestyle cooking
Goffstown taking aim at invasive species
First graders enjoy early Thanksgiving feast
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
On being American: A point for reflection