Reviving the Piscataqua River Wherry
"Boat building, as a vehicle for teaching and education, develops hand skills and enhances cognitive ability," he said, "but there's an aesthetic component."
Burke chose the Piscataqua River Wherry design boat in part because it is indigenous to New Hampshire's Seacoast and its design was adapted for the local river conditions.
Burke hosted a tour of the boat workshop Monday at The Community School, with some of the students, including Marianna Palladino, 13, brother Noah, 15, and Fenton Varney, III, 13, all of Tuftonboro. One unusual aspect of this particular class is that the wood — a strong Pine tree from the Eaton Town Forest — was custom chosen for this project.
Burke said New Hampshire, due to weather and other conditions, has some of the strongest pine in the country. The class looked at hundreds of trees before they chose a pine that was milled and prepared for the boat project. The boat measures 16 feet 6 inches in length. Using "classic" boat building techniques, the boat will take between 250 to 300 hours to build. The class began in January.
"I never thought I could do something like this," said Marianna.
"It's nice to learn a new skill… I had no experience with tools but after a while I started to enjoy it. It seems like second nature," she said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Next sign-up begins Aug. 11 for community-supported fishery - 0
- Energy Commission lays out roadmap for improving efficiency - 0
- A taste of the Old West in Pelham at The Great Nor'easter - 0
- Salem board gives OK for expanded funeral home parking - 0
- Senior News: Lifelong Learning Institute plans fall class previews - 0
- John Harrigan's Woods, Water & Wildlife: Pigs, ATV update and the bear facts - 0
- Tapped into flavor at Manchester's Summer Fest - 2
- More than 3,000 school backpacks distributed during the One Day of Community in Manchester - 0
- Sails, strategy and Sunapee sunsets; Cruising Fleet sailors enjoy friendly competition - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Win tickets to see Austin Mahone
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
LNG plant put 'on hold'
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
20140728-Dover patient shocked by $3,766 Wentworth-Douglass charged insurer for tube of cold sore cream
Cabrera, Blue Jays trounce fading Red Sox