Lightning strikes Manchester home, sparks fire
MANCHESTER — A home on one of the highest elevations in the city was struck by lightning Tuesday morning, sparking a small fire that was quickly extinguished, fire department official said.
Lightning struck the roof at 133 Shepherd Road, which is located off Currier Drive, said Manchester District Fire Chief Jim Michael.
A neighbor saw the strike, saw smoke and called the fire department at 10:44 a.m., Michael said.
The resident, Roya Moin, was unaware of the fire.
“We actually knocked on her door and let her know her house was on fire,” Michael said. Moin told firefighters he heard the thunder crack and felt a tingling in her mouth, but remained on the computer.
He said damage to the house amounted to about $15,000.