Texting + driving = deadly consequences
A car crashed had into a tree. A passenger with a bloodied face was unconscious in the front seat.
The scene had the elements of a fatal car accident, but it was all part of a video being produced by students in their Modern Media television production class at Sanborn Regional High School.
Then freshman Jenna Nofsker, 15, of Newton, approached Gray and expressed interest in filming a video about the dangers of texting while driving.
The police and fire departments became involved and agreed to play an active role, bringing in emergency vehicles and personnel to create a dramatic scene that was filmed and will be used in the students’ educational video.
The storyline involved three sisters on their way to school. The oldest sister, played by senior Sarah Boisselle, 17, is behind the wheel and receives several text messages while driving to school. At one point, she decides to look down to check a message and veers off the road and crashes into a tree.
Trina has done some local acting and is the daughter of the high school’s guidance director, Michelle Catena.
The class has produced school-related videos that have been posted on its YouTube channel, but has never filmed a video of this scope, Giuliucci said.
Freshman Sophie Smith, 15, of Kingston, helped spearhead the project with Nofsker. She spent nearly two hours in a bucket on a truck to film angles from the air with help from Kingston police Officer Michael Prescott.
“We’ll have to edit a lot of it,” she said.
The filming affected Boisselle on a personal level. She said her best friend was killed in an accident in Maine last November and was texting and not wearing a seatbelt.
“You feel it more. It’s easier to have that emotion because it’s a child,” said Boisselle, who was later arrested at the scene by Kingston police Sgt. Michael LePage as part of the storyline and charged with negligent homicide.
In addition to Seaman, the department provided six firefighters on a fire engine, three in an ambulance, two in a forestry truck, along with two paramedics from Exeter Hospital.
“I see it personally when I’m driving down the road. I constantly see cars going by me texting. It’s amazing how big of a problem it is,” he said.
“We were able to provide some guidance as to what they could expect at a motor vehicle scene. We’re hoping that this sends a very strong message on how dangerous it is to text and drive. We’re hoping that it sends a very clear message, not only to students, but to the general public,” he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Looking Back with Aurore Eaton: Manchester's Elliot Hospital grows, evolves - 0
- Looking Back with Aurore Eaton: An early challenge for the Elliot Hospital - 2
- Looking Back with Aurore Eaton: The Elliot Hospital's grand opening - 0
- Looking Back with Aurore Eaton: The start of Manchester's Elliot Hospital began with a generous gift - 0
- Aurore Eaton's Looking Back: The story of Mary and John Elliot of Manchester - 0
- Aurore Eaton's Looking Back: Murdered, Elinus Morrison is laid to rest in the Valley Cemetery - 0
- Aurore Eaton's Looking Back: A shocking Confederate raid in Vermont - 0
- Aurore Eaton's Looking Back: The Civil War comes to Elinus Morrison - 0
- Looking Back with Aurore Eaton: A Civil War tragedy - Elinus Morrison of Manchester - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 0
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
- Late rally lifts Red Sox past White Sox - 0
- On Baseball: Matinee win keeps Fisher Cats on a roll - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Salem drops $50 permit for Sunday sales
Anthony M. Kay
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Mount Washington College to close 2 campuses
Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing?
Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release