Maple Street skate park revamp plans amping up in Manchester
“We will brainstorm about what participants want,” said Jim DeStefano, organizer of XMVSkate.
Current goals include raising about $500,000 to refurbish or rebuild the park.
“We want to build the likability for users so it will become self-policing,” Destefano said.
A fully enclosed facility may be beyond the anticipated budget, but organizers say they lean toward a pole-roof sort of covering that will allow use of the park through much of the year while making sure the activities are in public view.
Destefano suggests replacing or altering the Regis Lemire Community Center, either with a new structure that allows a better view of the skate park, or by removing part of the complex used for storage.
“I’ve brought my kids there a number of times and have never seen problems, I’ve never seen the kids disrespect the park,” he said.
The two firms represented at today’s sessions are experienced with developing, designing and constructing skate parks in cities across the country. Designers will discuss with city engineers whether the existing park can handle an upgrade or whether years of deferred maintenance means the reconstruction needs to be more extensive.
“I think if it was a good skate park, kids would still use it,” Destefano said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua mayor honored for promoting the arts - 0
- Last Week's Rare Bird Alert - 0
- Death by chocolate: A problem for NH bears - 1
- Deliberative session to include Salem High School project update - 0
- Family moving forward in wake of son's death, friend's sentencing - 0
- Ice fishing village forms on Meredith Bay - 0
- Early start planned for next school year in Salem - 0
- This weekend offers plenty of winter fun on Granite State slopes - 0
- Souhegan High's FIRST Robotics team to host comedy night fundraiser - 0
Granite State volunteers honor MLK's legacy
'Interview' buzz spreads to NH
Nashua mayor honored for promoting the arts
Last Week's Rare Bird Alert
Enter to win tickets to see Nickelback
NFL not rushing 'Deflategate' investigation
Lawmakers listen to pleas to kill bill that would end NH's participation in carbon tax initiative
Bill seeks procedure for police flagged for credibility issues to challenge Laurie List status
Budget holes: Hassan's faux concern