Maple Street skate park revamp plans amping up in Manchester
“We will brainstorm about what participants want,” said Jim DeStefano, organizer of XMVSkate.
Current goals include raising about $500,000 to refurbish or rebuild the park.
“We want to build the likability for users so it will become self-policing,” Destefano said.
A fully enclosed facility may be beyond the anticipated budget, but organizers say they lean toward a pole-roof sort of covering that will allow use of the park through much of the year while making sure the activities are in public view.
Destefano suggests replacing or altering the Regis Lemire Community Center, either with a new structure that allows a better view of the skate park, or by removing part of the complex used for storage.
“I’ve brought my kids there a number of times and have never seen problems, I’ve never seen the kids disrespect the park,” he said.
The two firms represented at today’s sessions are experienced with developing, designing and constructing skate parks in cities across the country. Designers will discuss with city engineers whether the existing park can handle an upgrade or whether years of deferred maintenance means the reconstruction needs to be more extensive.
“I think if it was a good skate park, kids would still use it,” Destefano said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Stacey Cole's Nature Talks: Fond memories of helping 'Gramp' search for Grandmother Cole's Christmas tree - 0
- New Hampshire Audubon's Rare Bird Alert - 0
- Freemasons award Raymond selectman for service to town - 0
- Hooksett residents had few kind words for town in survey - 1
- For those in need, New Horizons greenhouse changes everything - 0
- Dartmouth professor names 5 fun, creative stocking stuffers - 0
- Skiing and snowboarding are the tip of the resort iceberg at Bretton Woods - 0
- Josh Logan at British Beer Company - 1
- All aboard! Santa Express pulling out for year's last trips - 0
New Hampshire Audubon's Rare Bird Alert
Stacey Cole's Nature Talks: Fond memories of helping 'Gramp' search for Grandmother Cole's Christmas tree
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Scott Brown brings out protesters in NH
Drug addicts driving spike in robberies
Money raised for dog hit by snow plow
Dunbarton nixes man's poultry plan
Popular West High School official moved