Maple Street skate park revamp plans amping up in Manchester
“We will brainstorm about what participants want,” said Jim DeStefano, organizer of XMVSkate.
Current goals include raising about $500,000 to refurbish or rebuild the park.
“We want to build the likability for users so it will become self-policing,” Destefano said.
A fully enclosed facility may be beyond the anticipated budget, but organizers say they lean toward a pole-roof sort of covering that will allow use of the park through much of the year while making sure the activities are in public view.
Destefano suggests replacing or altering the Regis Lemire Community Center, either with a new structure that allows a better view of the skate park, or by removing part of the complex used for storage.
“I’ve brought my kids there a number of times and have never seen problems, I’ve never seen the kids disrespect the park,” he said.
The two firms represented at today’s sessions are experienced with developing, designing and constructing skate parks in cities across the country. Designers will discuss with city engineers whether the existing park can handle an upgrade or whether years of deferred maintenance means the reconstruction needs to be more extensive.
“I think if it was a good skate park, kids would still use it,” Destefano said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Registration Open for Free Winter Indoor Archery Leagues - Holderness - 0
- Amherst ready to celebrate season with tree lighting Friday - 0
- Bedford girl who loved ballet loses cancer battle - 0
- Bethlehem students prepare Trees for Troops - 0
- New Hampshire's most iconic entertainment venue keeps the pedal to the medal. - 0
- North Country’s former longtime Union Leader news carrier dies - 0
- Londonderry officials: Tree stands on conservation land are troubling - 20
- Salem High School science teacher aims high with study of ozone layer - 0
- Salem settles on figure for proposed high school project - 0
Thank a Landowner Today
Win tickets to see Disney on Ice!
Bethlehem students prepare Trees for Troops
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up