Maple Street skate park revamp plans amping up in Manchester
“We will brainstorm about what participants want,” said Jim DeStefano, organizer of XMVSkate.
Current goals include raising about $500,000 to refurbish or rebuild the park.
“We want to build the likability for users so it will become self-policing,” Destefano said.
A fully enclosed facility may be beyond the anticipated budget, but organizers say they lean toward a pole-roof sort of covering that will allow use of the park through much of the year while making sure the activities are in public view.
Destefano suggests replacing or altering the Regis Lemire Community Center, either with a new structure that allows a better view of the skate park, or by removing part of the complex used for storage.
“I’ve brought my kids there a number of times and have never seen problems, I’ve never seen the kids disrespect the park,” he said.
The two firms represented at today’s sessions are experienced with developing, designing and constructing skate parks in cities across the country. Designers will discuss with city engineers whether the existing park can handle an upgrade or whether years of deferred maintenance means the reconstruction needs to be more extensive.
“I think if it was a good skate park, kids would still use it,” Destefano said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Oh, come all ye faithful carolers - 0
- Negatives prove positive donation - 0
- 'Old-fashioned Christmas party' a hit with Nashua families - 0
- Cole's columns available in book form - 0
- What's open and closed on Christmas - 0
- John Harrigan's Woods, water & Wildlife: There really oughta be more otters in NH - 0
- Secret Santa shines on Freemont's needy - 0
- Hooksett school officials see Pinkerton contract problem - 2
- Stacey Cole's Nature Talks: Fond memories of helping 'Gramp' search for Grandmother Cole's Christmas tree - 0
Secret Santa shines on Freemont's needy
Stacey Cole's Nature Talks: Fond memories of helping 'Gramp' search for Grandmother Cole's Christmas tree
Josh Logan at British Beer Company
New Hampshire Audubon's Rare Bird Alert
Oh, come all ye faithful carolers
Negatives prove positive donation
Drug addicts driving spike in robberies
State bracing for ice storm
UNH football success likely to raise money
Marketing NH: For profit and low taxes