Maple Street skate park revamp plans amping up in Manchester
“We will brainstorm about what participants want,” said Jim DeStefano, organizer of XMVSkate.
Current goals include raising about $500,000 to refurbish or rebuild the park.
“We want to build the likability for users so it will become self-policing,” Destefano said.
A fully enclosed facility may be beyond the anticipated budget, but organizers say they lean toward a pole-roof sort of covering that will allow use of the park through much of the year while making sure the activities are in public view.
Destefano suggests replacing or altering the Regis Lemire Community Center, either with a new structure that allows a better view of the skate park, or by removing part of the complex used for storage.
“I’ve brought my kids there a number of times and have never seen problems, I’ve never seen the kids disrespect the park,” he said.
The two firms represented at today’s sessions are experienced with developing, designing and constructing skate parks in cities across the country. Designers will discuss with city engineers whether the existing park can handle an upgrade or whether years of deferred maintenance means the reconstruction needs to be more extensive.
“I think if it was a good skate park, kids would still use it,” Destefano said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Harrigan: A rare appearance by Mr. Outdoor Answer Man - 0
- Annual Snodeo in Stewartstown draws good crowd, many vendors - 0
- NH native holds lead spot in Iditarod - 0
- Soap 101: Studies in self-reliance - 0
- Trip to college' advanced manufacturing center opens Boy Scouts' eyes to career possibilities - 0
- Dick Pinney's Guidelines: March's arrival brings ideal ice fishing conditions - 0
- High school students want to give the shirts off their backs - 0
- Nashua cadet receives Civil Air Patrol award - 0
- Hooksett teen faces charge of throwing egg at police car - 1
NH native holds lead spot in Iditarod
Trip to college' advanced manufacturing center opens Boy Scouts' eyes to career possibilities
Soap 101: Studies in self-reliance
Win tickets to see Bruno Mars!
Win tickets to see Jillian Michaels