Maple Street skate park revamp plans amping up in Manchester
“We will brainstorm about what participants want,” said Jim DeStefano, organizer of XMVSkate.
Current goals include raising about $500,000 to refurbish or rebuild the park.
“We want to build the likability for users so it will become self-policing,” Destefano said.
A fully enclosed facility may be beyond the anticipated budget, but organizers say they lean toward a pole-roof sort of covering that will allow use of the park through much of the year while making sure the activities are in public view.
Destefano suggests replacing or altering the Regis Lemire Community Center, either with a new structure that allows a better view of the skate park, or by removing part of the complex used for storage.
“I’ve brought my kids there a number of times and have never seen problems, I’ve never seen the kids disrespect the park,” he said.
The two firms represented at today’s sessions are experienced with developing, designing and constructing skate parks in cities across the country. Designers will discuss with city engineers whether the existing park can handle an upgrade or whether years of deferred maintenance means the reconstruction needs to be more extensive.
“I think if it was a good skate park, kids would still use it,” Destefano said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Join Loon Mountain's New Ultra Learner's Club, Get a Free Pair of HEAD Skis - 0
- Winter Wild Turkey Survey Starts January 1 - 0
- NH Hunting Season Results for Deer, Bear & Turkey - 0
- Fireworks, Open Houses at Hampton Beach for New Year's Eve - 0
- Hampton Beach Casino Ballroom announces five shows for the 2015 concert series - 0
- Man loses wallet, but sanitation workers save his identity - 4
- Propane now fuels the new Mt. Washington SnowCoach - 0
- Enter to win tickets to see Tom Chapin - 0
- Hooksett Council OKs Lilac Bridge removal - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Tom Chapin
Win tickets to see Linkin Park
Enter to win tickets to see Arc Isis
Enter to win tickets to see Pirate School
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Power Plays: BANANAS and NH's energy needs