Maple Street skate park revamp plans amping up in Manchester
“We will brainstorm about what participants want,” said Jim DeStefano, organizer of XMVSkate.
Current goals include raising about $500,000 to refurbish or rebuild the park.
“We want to build the likability for users so it will become self-policing,” Destefano said.
A fully enclosed facility may be beyond the anticipated budget, but organizers say they lean toward a pole-roof sort of covering that will allow use of the park through much of the year while making sure the activities are in public view.
Destefano suggests replacing or altering the Regis Lemire Community Center, either with a new structure that allows a better view of the skate park, or by removing part of the complex used for storage.
“I’ve brought my kids there a number of times and have never seen problems, I’ve never seen the kids disrespect the park,” he said.
The two firms represented at today’s sessions are experienced with developing, designing and constructing skate parks in cities across the country. Designers will discuss with city engineers whether the existing park can handle an upgrade or whether years of deferred maintenance means the reconstruction needs to be more extensive.
“I think if it was a good skate park, kids would still use it,” Destefano said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New Hampshire events starting on July 13 - 0
- Family center in Nashua offers workshop, play date - 0
- Alewives and leeches; fireworks in the rain - 1
- Despite late start in growing season, North Country's blueberry picking season soon to be here - 0
- Cormac Ashe Toland born in June in Manchester - 0
- July 4th fireworks a reminder of need to protect dogs from noise - 0
- Locals, big names alike praise NH Seacoast's wave culture - 0
- 2 from NH graduate from Air Force training - 0
- Engagement of Currier-Williams - 0
Alewives and leeches; fireworks in the rain
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Despite late start in growing season, North Country's blueberry picking season soon to be here
Win tickets to see Austin Mahone
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
The U.S. is a beacon still
No compromise: We win, you lose