Maple Street skate park revamp plans amping up in Manchester
“We will brainstorm about what participants want,” said Jim DeStefano, organizer of XMVSkate.
Current goals include raising about $500,000 to refurbish or rebuild the park.
“We want to build the likability for users so it will become self-policing,” Destefano said.
A fully enclosed facility may be beyond the anticipated budget, but organizers say they lean toward a pole-roof sort of covering that will allow use of the park through much of the year while making sure the activities are in public view.
Destefano suggests replacing or altering the Regis Lemire Community Center, either with a new structure that allows a better view of the skate park, or by removing part of the complex used for storage.
“I’ve brought my kids there a number of times and have never seen problems, I’ve never seen the kids disrespect the park,” he said.
The two firms represented at today’s sessions are experienced with developing, designing and constructing skate parks in cities across the country. Designers will discuss with city engineers whether the existing park can handle an upgrade or whether years of deferred maintenance means the reconstruction needs to be more extensive.
“I think if it was a good skate park, kids would still use it,” Destefano said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rock My Soul performs - 0
- Revels North in Hanover - 0
- Bluegrass Christmas Concert set for Saturday - 0
- Take a stroll through centuries of Seacoast history this weekend - 0
- G.I. Holiday Jukebox in Manchester - 0
- For Art's Sake fundraiser garners $20,000 for NH organizations, more - 0
- 'Frost Heaves' brings holiday hilarity back to town with illuminating ride through small-town New Hampshire - 0
- Pemigewasset Choral Society plans Gilford, Franklin, Plymouth shows - 0
- Project Shakespeare presents 'Christmas Carol' adaptation - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Win tickets to see Disney on Ice!
Peterborough seniors know they have friends
Keene to appeal Robin Hood rulings
Big tipper stops for lunch
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Driver was trying to kill himself